CAG COD 1st Brigade
Call of Duty WW2
CAG Clan Forums Check In CAG on Facebook CAG on Twitter CAG YouTube CAG RSS Feed
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reducing Latency

COD Forums to discuss Black Ops 2, Black Ops, MW3, MW2 and other Call of Duty games

Stud
    Rep Points: 890
    This member is currently
    Local Date
    October 23rd, 2024
    Local Time
    01:33 AM

Reducing Latency

Forum members; I'm looking for some pointers on ways to reduce latency. Tired of being the last guy to the "dance". As my dance partners seem to be a step or two ahead of me.

My current set-up:

Cable internet
    Cable box with co-ax to router
    Router with CAT5e cable to console
    Current speed test: 34.7down 5.9up
    Ping to server in Los Angeles 14ms (about 12 miles away for me)

Another speed test on a different site:
    28.5down 5.5up
    Ping to San Jose, CA 31ms (about 350 miles)

However, I really don't think I'm getting those ping rates while I'm gaming...at home. I understand not being able to control anything while I'm traveling from hotel to hotel and using their wifi. Yes...I travel with my console....and no I'm not going to any damn GA meetings. I've already been kicked out of AA meetings because I wanted to celebrate my 24 hours of sobriety with a fifth of Jack...bunch of quitters...

Any suggestions would be helpful.

CAG Dogg Level: 25 [?]
    Experience: 82,215
    Next Level: 100,000

2. The Following User Says Fucking Hell Yeah ! to DCogs For This Fucking Post:

PATRON (October 15th, 2016)

Stud
    Rep Points: 24908
    This member is currently
    Local Date
    October 23rd, 2024
    Local Time
    02:33 AM

If your talking about just Blops 3...its not your fault. Although who knows how trustworthy hotel/motel WiFi could be...but it's not on your part for blops 3...Its been having real bad connection issues the past four or so months.

It's up for grabs on reasoning...I still think they shut down a few servers, to cut back future loss. Most think it's from content add ons. But yea, most the time games will have a slight lag that's either in your favor or against.

CAG Dogg Level: 42 [?]
    Experience: 2,544,196
    Next Level: 3,025,107

Division:
    [XBOX 1, XBOX 360]
    CAG Stud
    Rep Points: 670938
    This member is currently
    Local Date
    October 23rd, 2024
    Local Time
    Leader and Founder of CAG

So are you asking about internet at your house or the one from the hotels ...
    cag clan cheechdogg

CAG Dogg Level: 72 [?]
    Experience: 283,989,388
    Next Level: 305,690,101

Division:
    [XBOX 1, XBOX 360]
    CAG Stud
    This member is currently
    Local Date
    October 23rd, 2024
    Local Time

Regardless ..the upload speed is just too slow for gaming ... you now need over 10 to 15 up to game and not have any lag/latency ...

The download speed is not as important as upload ....
    cag clan cheechdogg

Stud
    This member is currently
    Local Date
    October 23rd, 2024
    Local Time

Home. I know I cant do much about the Hotels.

Division:
    [XBOX 1]
    CAG Stud
    Rep Points: 447740
    This member is currently
    Local Date
    October 23rd, 2024
    Local Time
    10:33 AM
    Co-Leader

Use an Ethernet cable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    CAG JB

CAG Dogg Level: 60 [?]
    Experience: 50,550,143
    Next Level: 55,714,302

Rep Points: 0
    This member is currently
    Local Date
    October 23rd, 2024
    Local Time
    I was a Bitch and got Banned

Try looking into getting Time Warner Cable internet.. There prices are pretty cheap for the speeds they offer
    Because your upload speed is very Low .
    But other than That .
    Always us a Ethernet cable .
    Cuts out a lot of lag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CAG Dogg Level: 57 [?]
    Experience: 31,413,797
    Next Level: 35,467,816

Division:
    [XBOX 1, XBOX 360]
    CAG Stud
    This member is currently
    Local Date
    October 23rd, 2024
    Local Time

Also make sure if you have a router or your modem has built in wi-fi that it's password protected so no one else is leaching off of your internet ...

You can also try a different channel for the wi-fi so that there is no other interference from people's routers
    cag clan cheechdogg

10. The Following User Says Fucking Hell Yeah ! to CAG CheechDogg For This Fucking Post:

CAG JB (October 15th, 2016)

Stud
    This member is currently
    Local Date
    October 23rd, 2024
    Local Time

Quick update:

Home connection:
    **Now I'm wired and ditched the wifi connection
    **Changed to a channel on the wifi that others in my area aren't using however, I don't think that means anything because I'm using a cat5 connection now.
    **Check my router to see if I could do "QOS" but, my router is too basic.

Results; PS3 COD4MW feels the same, I'm usually about half second behind all the action
    PS4 BO3 feels a lot better than the hotel wifi.

Not really looking forward to IW but, I can't wait for MWR. I really want to get on that and see how much fun it is.

12. The Following 2 Users Said Fucking Hell Yeah ! to DCogs For This Fucking Post:

callbeast (October 27th, 2016),xPARCHx (October 15th, 2016)

Division:
    [XBOX 1, XBOX 360]
    CAG Stud
    This member is currently
    Local Date
    October 23rd, 2024
    Local Time

The different channel just means that no one else will cause any interference than "can" lead to latency from your router/modem ...

The latency also comes from the type of tv you have ... anything below 120 hz is bad for gaming ... the best stuff for gaming is 240 hz and up preferably 600 hz ...but with the new technology of tv makers now you really don't need anything over 60 hz because video games only come in 60 frames per second and nothing higher ... the only reason you would want something with a higher refresh rate would be to watch sports games and not really movies because then you have the "soap opera effect" ... check this article out ...

I have 3 LED tvs ...two Sharps and one LG ...all three of them are 120 hz and I really don't have much too complain about ... yes there is input lag but every tv has it .... unless you are playing in a LAN environment you will always see lag or input lag, latency what ever you want to call it ... check out the article below

HDTV Refresh Rates Explained: 60Hz, 120Hz, and Beyond

Here's what you need to know about the HDTV refresh rate numbers game.

If you're in the market for an HDTV, you've probably heard a lot about "speed." When ads and reviews talk about how fast an HDTV is, they're referring to the display's refresh rate, or how often it changes the picture. Television and movies don't show actual motion so much as dozens and hundreds of frames per second, like a reel of film or a huge flipbook. The faster the HDTV, the more frames it displays per second.

So the faster the refresh rate, the better the HDTV, right? More frames look smoother, right? In theory: yes. In marketing: very yes. In practice: not so much.

Pulldown and the Film-Video Dance

To answer these questions, you have to understand two important things about video. First, you can't add detail beyond what is already in the source footage. Second, the source footage is never greater than 60Hz. When you watch a movie on Blu-ray, it's a 1080p picture at 60Hz. The disc displays 60 interlaced or 30 progressive frames at 1,920-by-1,080 resolution per second of video. For movies that were recorded on film, the original footage is actually 24 frames per second, upconverted to 30 frames through a process known as 2:3 pulldown. It distributes the source frames so they can be spread across 30 instead of 24 frames per second. Those frames are then interlaced (combined and shuffled) to 60 "frames" per second to match the 60Hz refresh rate of the vast majority of TVs you can buy today. In the case of 1080p60 televisions, the frames are pulled down to 60 full frames per second, and both the players and HDTVs outright skip any interlacing step.

This is a time-honored tradition, because American TVs have displayed 30 (actually, 29.97) frames per second and functioned at 60Hz since time immemorial. It's not really a problem, because between interlacing and frame pulldown, the process doesn't attempt to add information to the picture. It's simply converting it to function on the TV, because it wouldn't work otherwise. 1080p60 is the current high-end standard for HDTVs, and no commercial media exceeds that resolution or frame rate. In fact, many movies on Blu-ray even turn the frame rate down and display 1080p24, or 1,920-by-1080 video at 24 frames per second, to make the footage look as close to film as possible. The various refresh rate-increasing technologies on HDTVs destroy that effect.

Higher Refresh Rates

Once an HDTV's refresh rate goes above the rate of the content you're watching, it starts performing tricks to produce a higher frame rate. It interpolates new frames between the frames transmitted to the display at 60 frames per second (or processed into 60 frames per second from 24 frames per second for film footage, through the separate pulldown process), and the HDTV fills in the spaces by generating the best "middle" frames to stick in the cracks. These new frames are made by combining and processing the data of the frames surrounding them, generating the images the HDTV thinks it should draw between the images it's told to draw by the media. You're looking at more individual pictures as the screen draws them, but these pictures weren't on the Blu-ray disc or television signal that the screen is receiving; the HDTV is generating those additional pictures itself.

Good for Games

When flat-panel HDTVs were in their infancy, they suffered from motion blur. LCDs in particular, tended to display distinct blurriness during very fast movements because of "ghosting," or the afterimage left after the image on the screen has changed. LCD technology has progressed a great deal over the past several years, and now ghosting and motion blur have been all but eliminated.

Even without blur, you might notice choppiness or "tearing" (the effect of part of the image seeming to hang behind what's on the rest of the screen for a moment). This is especially noticeable in sports and video games, or any content that has a lot of fast, horizontal panning of the camera. For this, higher refresh rate modes can help.

What About 4K?

Ultra high-definition television (UHD, or 4K) is still in its early stages, and while you can purchase a 4K HDTV you'll still have some problems getting any appreciable amount of media for it. The HDMI 2.0 standard has only just made 60 fps 4K video a consistent possibility for certain devices, and so much processing is already being used on simply displaying the much higher 3,840-by-2,160 resolution that interpolation and adding frames to make the action smoother hasn't been a major priority for HDTV manufacturers yet. Basically, if you want a 4K screen, don't expect it to break 60Hz for a while.

But Are Super-Fast Refresh Rates Worth It?

Enhanced refresh rates can go too far. While 120Hz refresh rates seen on most midrange HDTVs can work well, don't expect to see any real performance improvement from 240Hz refresh rates or, for many plasmas, 600Hz. More importantly, you should know when to turn these enhanced refresh rates off, and watch with the "default" 60Hz or 24Hz film mode.

Refresh rates and motion-enhancing modes higher than 60Hz can produce a surreal effect when watching movies and television shows. The additional frames and "smoother" animation looks different from what we're used to with TV and movies, making the footage appear strangely fast. For any sort of content where you watch people interact naturally, like comedies or dramas, this can be unsettling and you should consider turning off the motion enhancing mode and force the screen to display the picture at 60Hz. However, for sports and video games, those added frames can help reduce stuttering and blur, and the action will be easier to track.

As a general rule, if what you're watching involves seeing real peoples' faces as they talk, disable the higher refresh rate so they don't look like creepy dolls (also known as the "soap opera effect"). If what you're watching involves seeing real people run into each other (sports), or fake people attacking each other in an artificial environment (video games), keep the higher refresh rate mode turned on (though set to "low" or "medium" if given the option, because the most zealous motion modes can still make the picture look unreal).

Remember these modes don't add any actual detail to the video, and you might want to disable them when watching every-day, non-action content. A 120Hz refresh rate can be beneficial for certain situations, but a higher refresh rate should not be considered a good reasons to spend more on an HDTV. For most television and movie watching, you'll probably want to keep the refresh rate set to 60Hz, anyway. Just keep the benefits in mind for sports and games, and don't feel the need to push past 120Hz. Anything higher really is more of a gimmick than a truly useful feature.
    cag clan cheechdogg

14. The Following 3 Users Said Fucking Hell Yeah ! to CAG CheechDogg For This Fucking Post:

CAG JB (October 15th, 2016),callbeast (October 27th, 2016),DCogs (October 16th, 2016)

+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast