Call of Duty WW2
CAG Clan Forums Check In CAG on Facebook CAG on Twitter CAG YouTube CAG RSS Feed
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cross Platform Coming?!?!

CAG Stud
    Rep Points: 15145
    This member is currently
    Local Date
    September 9th, 2024
    Local Time
    06:53 AM

Cross Platform Coming?!?!

Check it out.

Hell Freezes Over: Microsoft Enables PS4, Xbox One Gamers To Play Together Online

Jason Evangelho ,
    Contributor

I write honest reviews and opinions on the bleeding edge of gaming

Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own.

Hell may have officially frozen over this morning, as Microsoft MSFT +0.74% has announced support for not just native cross-platform play between Xbox Live-enabled games on Xbox One and Windows 10 systems (ala Rocket League), but cross-network play too. PlayStation Plus and Xbox Live gamers playing together in harmony? What madness is this!

Seriously, I had to triple-check this report to make sure I wasn’t just imagining it.

rypq5r0ugulmrz794gft 1200x675
    Soon, gamers across all platforms could be playing games like Rocket League together | Image: Psyonix

In a general update from ID@Xbox Director Chris Charla over at Xbox Wire on the state of the program, Charla outlined a few new features that were hatched directly from developer feedback, including Cross-Network Play.
    “First, in addition to natively supporting cross-platform play between Xbox One and Windows 10 games that use Xbox Live, we’re enabling developers to support cross-network play as well,” Charla writes. “This means players on Xbox One and Windows 10 using Xbox Live will be able to play with players on different online multiplayer networks – including other console and PC networks.
    While Microsoft isn’t directly calling out consoles like Sony's PlayStation 4 or services like EA’s Origin on PC, the intent is crystal clear. Microsoft is opening the door across the entire landscape of gaming, and inviting developers to take the leap, explaining that it’s up to them to support this feature. It’s not just a magic switch Microsoft can flip, but it’s nice to hear that the tools are now in the toolbox. I’m sure the platform holders will also need to play nice.

Charla also says Xbox Live users “will always have the option of choosing to play only with other Xbox Live players.”

He then extended an invitation for other online networks to follow in Microsoft’s footsteps.
    On the surface this would initially seem borderline crazy, but it actually fits Microsoft’s Nadella-driven narrative nicely. This is the same Microsoft that is releasing more and more software for Android and iOS rather than locking it down to their own ecosystem. The same Microsoft that seems increasingly uninterested in fanning the usual console war flames. The same Microsoft that, despite the recent complaints from Epic head Tim Sweeney, is adamant about making UWP (Universal Windows Platform) an open environment for developers to build their products on (even if it’s not off to a shining start).

The Premise Promo 1200x334

I view this as a wonderful direction for gaming that shows Microsoft continuing to show preference for their brand overall instead of just their hardware. Could this come back to bite them down the road? Should this become a prevalent feature, I suppose it could impact Xbox One console sales (but since Microsoft is playing the long game with their latest console, it may be less of a concern.) One of the main reasons I hear from people for choosing the latest multiplatform game on one system over the other is simply “where are my friends playing?”

Microsoft also announced that, similar to Rocket League on Playstation 4, their Xbox One version will support cross-platform play with the Steam version. Now it’s up to the developers if they want to complete the circle and enable everyone, regardless of platform preference or online network, to play together.

I don’t know about you, but I think this is something gamers have wanted for a very, very long time. Now let’s see who else picks up the baton and continues the race.
    By the way, I have to wonder if now we’ll finally get Final Fantasy XIV on Xbox One.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by CAG CheechDogg; March 15th, 2016 at 02:45 PM.

CAG Dogg Level: 41 [?]
    Experience: 2,452,958
    Next Level: 2,530,022

2. The Following 2 Users Said Fucking Hell Yeah ! to Bigmak2420 For This Fucking Post:

CAG JB (March 15th, 2016),CAG ToxicBob (March 15th, 2016)

CAG Stud
    This member is currently
    Local Date
    September 9th, 2024
    Local Time

I first saw it on Facebook didn't believe it so I googled it and found that article on Forbes which I think is a pretty reputable source.

4. The Following User Says Fucking Hell Yeah ! to Bigmak2420 For This Fucking Post:

CAG ToxicBob (March 15th, 2016)

Division:
    [XBOX 1]
    CAG Stud
    Rep Points: 447740
    This member is currently
    Local Date
    September 9th, 2024
    Local Time
    12:53 PM
    Co-Leader

Il be impressed when they actually make it functional to talk cross platform rather than just game against one another.

Would be nice to be able to talk and game with you PS people without having to fork out a shit load of money on another console to do so.
    CAG JB

CAG Dogg Level: 60 [?]
    Experience: 50,019,419
    Next Level: 55,714,302

CAG Stud
    This member is currently
    Local Date
    September 9th, 2024
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by CAG JB View Post
    Il be impressed when they actually make it functional to talk cross platform rather than just game against one another.

Would be nice to be able to talk and game with you PS people without having to fork out a shit load of money on another console to do so.
    I completely agree I feel there is a lot of people on the ps side of the clan that I would enjoy gaming with but can't since I don't have a PS4

7. The Following User Says Fucking Hell Yeah ! to Bigmak2420 For This Fucking Post:

CAG JB (March 15th, 2016)

Stud
    Rep Points: 8345
    This member is currently
    Local Date
    September 9th, 2024
    Local Time
    02:53 PM
    I was a Bitch and got Banned

I honestly hope in xb1 vs ps4 only thing

Inviato dal mio SM-N910F utilizzando Tapatalk

CAG Dogg Level: 38 [?]
    Experience: 1,220,448
    Next Level: 1,460,206

CAG Stud
    Rep Points: 9762
    This member is currently
    Local Date
    September 9th, 2024
    Local Time
    08:53 AM

If this does end up happening I would enjoy it because I have some friends of the playstation side of things

CAG Dogg Level: 40 [?]
    Experience: 2,014,461
    Next Level: 2,111,327

Rep Points: 62384
    This member is currently
    Local Date
    September 9th, 2024
    Local Time

Game changer if it really does happen, especially for clans like ours. Reading the article, it's hard to believe that Microsoft would let the Xbox One be the last console and just continuously update it.

CAG Dogg Level: 46 [?]
    Experience: 5,200,743
    Next Level: 6,058,010

11. The Following User Says Fucking Hell Yeah ! to Batman_OnA_Stick For This Fucking Post:

Division:
    [XBOX 1, XBOX 360]
    CAG Stud
    Rep Points: 670938
    This member is currently
    Local Date
    September 9th, 2024
    Local Time
    05:53 AM
    Leader and Founder of CAG

Thanks Bigmak2420 for this ... I ran into an article about this a couple of days ago but forgot about it ... This is really interesting and I hope it is true. I honestly never understood why this hasn't happened already ...
    cag clan cheechdogg

CAG Dogg Level: 72 [?]
    Experience: 282,401,254
    Next Level: 305,690,101

Rep Points: 13948
    This member is currently
    Local Date
    September 9th, 2024
    Local Time

This sounds awesome! I can finally play with the bigwigs in CAG besides Gypsy, Gemini, Patron and Parch!

If they stand up, put them back down.

CAG Dogg Level: 40 [?]
    Experience: 2,005,661
    Next Level: 2,111,327

14. The Following User Says Fucking Hell Yeah ! to Prime_killer8521 For This Fucking Post:

Division:
    [XBOX 1]
    Rep Points: 202790
    This member is currently
    Local Date
    September 9th, 2024
    Local Time
    Co-Leader

MS is firing shots by saying its up to Sony to "participate and cooperate" and I love it. MS needed to do this, they are losing the battle.

You'll never see it with any type of multi shooter with PC though and if you do, no console person in their right mind would play it. For other games, I like it. I hope it happens.

Sent with a hot plate of Democracy and a side of Freedom.

CAG Dogg Level: 59 [?]
    Experience: 47,214,520
    Next Level: 47,989,448

+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread : 7