CAG COD 1st Brigade
Call of Duty WW2
CAG Clan Forums Check In CAG on Facebook CAG on Twitter CAG YouTube CAG RSS Feed
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Basic Training Help!

Find great information on VA "Veteran Affairs" matters for active and inactive members of the Military

CAG Stud
    Rep Points: 15560
    This member is currently
    Local Date
    August 6th, 2024
    Local Time
    08:39 AM
    I was a Bitch and got Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Survival Wreaks View Post
    Hey, I ship out for Fort Sill this coming up September for basic and AIT, my M.O.S is 14s, if anybody has done what I am doing and has heads up on something or advice i'd gladly take it. Thank you!
    I know it's a little late, and you've probably learned a little by now, but here's some pointers from me, 6 year Air Force vet & Retiree:
    1. YES SIR/YES MA'AM
    2. do NOT cut your eyes... ever
    3. do not MOVE an inch of your body unless asked to
    4. eat bananas with breakfast (and dinner if you can stomach it)
    NOTE for number 4: I was lean and small... I never had to work out... basic training took a toll on my body. It made me stronger, but for the first three weeks I could not sit, stand, or lie down without it hurting... EAT THE BANANAS! The potassium helps a lot.
    5. STUDY! - If they give you reading material, and you're not doing anything, pull it out and memorize it.
    6. give it your all. If it takes chanting a loved one's name, do that, but never give up.
    7. all things pass. What I liked to do was play the "lunch game" as we came to call it... by the time lunch rolls around, your day might as well be over. So at lunch time every day, just tell yourself that your day is winding down... and it will... a lot faster
    8. you might tell a few people in your basic group that you'll keep in touch. You might tell that to people in your AIT class as well... good luck with that. You'll meet LOTS of new people in the service. Keeping in touch with everyone you meet is hard work. Hold your friends close, but don't beat yourself up if an acquaintance becomes out of touch over the years.
    9. KEEP YOUR SHIT OFF FACEBOOK! - As part of OPSEC and general "do not fucking do that" guidelines go... little to NO (preferrably no) pictures of you in uniform on facebook.
    NOTE on 9: I wore a dress combination for my wedding, and who's NOT putting pics of their wedding online? The point is this: your unit/base patches, while not secret, could give away a good bit of intel. Keep your military stuff off of facebook, and while you're at it, set your profile to private, and make sure all of your "about me" stuff is private as well.
    10. Do not overeat. I made the mistake of getting a hamburger for dinner every night once I was in tech school (AIT) for you. DO NOT do that... you worked hard in basic to get your body in the shape it's in... keep it that way.
    11. DO NOT shave your head before you go to basic. Trust me, just dont (coming from a guy who wore his bald anyway but still got a boot rammed up my ass for it)
    12. flat tops are stylish. I wore a high & tight flat top for the first few years I was in. It's in regs, looks good, and who doesn't love a good Guile look? (street fighter)
    13. Once you're on the job, study your ass off. OJT is going to happen, but when it's over, don't get complacent. READ. REVIEW. Eventually you'll get to the point where you test for promotions or other special things... you want that knowledge to be burned into your brain.
    14. Do not make excuses for not having enough time for school. College is FREE while you're in the military. DO NOT wait until you find out you're getting out of the force to decide to go to college... that GI Bill runs out very very fast. We love you here, but school first. You could literally get a degree during your first 2 years once you get to your base and OJT is done with.

15. This is my final tip. Take it how you want it, but I want to make sure you understand this. SAVE YOUR MONEY. When I went in, I was married. We got into base housing. That's not how it works for single people (idk your situation, but still). For single people, there is a requirement (rank and time based) for you to live in barracks (the dorms). All meals are free (dining facility). PT is free, so don't waste money on a gym ... oh there's also going to be a gym on your base. Your bills will consist of:
    -car payment?
    -car insurance?
    -cell phone
    -cable/internet if you so wish
    My point is this: if you keep it to the minimum, your checks will fatten your bank account. I've seen too many kids come in, buy huge tvs, computers, cars, etc and either end up so far upside down that administrative action was taken against them, or spent so much and were upside down that they were forced by their first sergeant to have a yard sale to salvage just a tiny bit of face... OR ... get a girl, dump every cent on her, and when the time came to move out of the barracks, the financial situation for them was so harsh that it took friends and family to keep them afloat. In the Air Force, if you came in as an E-1, by the time you were and E-3 and kicked out of the dorms, you'd have enough bankrolled to put down a payment on a house. Just saying.

I hope everything works out for you. Sorry for the long winded post. I care about my brothers in arms. I don't want to see anyone slip down a hole they can't recover from. Much love, brother! Good luck!

~The Shiv

CAG Dogg Level: 38 [?]
    Experience: 1,284,870
    Next Level: 1,460,206

2. The Following 6 Users Said Fucking Hell Yeah ! to Hobbit For This Fucking Post:

Ace0323 (August 17th, 2015),CAG Archangel (August 18th, 2015),CAG CheechDogg (August 17th, 2015),CAG JB (August 22nd, 2015),CAG ToxicBob (August 17th, 2015),pred8or08 (August 17th, 2015)

Rep Points: 9174
    This member is currently
    Local Date
    August 6th, 2024
    Local Time
    04:39 AM

You have rather solid advice as is. Just know it's all a game until you go into AIT to actually learn your job. Impossible time hacks or details will have idiots tying their hands to their boots, just know it's meant to cause chaos and cannot be completed. Also, there is always that one idiot, that one complete fuckup, and the shining star of perfection......the rest pay for the first two and look like a bag of shit in comparison to the last. Infantry OSUT wasn't that bad, it can usually make you laugh if you go into it knowing it will be the best, dumbest, intelligent, meaningless, meaningful, hated, prideful time of your life to date. Enjoy it, embrace the suck and it's better to be unknown than known 99% of the time.

CAG Dogg Level: 45 [?]
    Experience: 4,454,809
    Next Level: 5,107,448

4. The Following 2 Users Said Fucking Hell Yeah ! to ARCTIK KLuTCH For This Fucking Post:

CAG Covieleader (August 22nd, 2015),Hobbit (August 22nd, 2015)

Division:
    [XBOX 1]
    CAG Stud
    Rep Points: 56618
    This member is currently
    Local Date
    August 6th, 2024
    Local Time
    07:39 AM
    Co-Leader

if your not a runner when doing your 5 mile runs think of your old neighborhood and imagine different locations like ( you see that tree over their that's were my girlfriend lives and over there by that hill is where my house is so I can take a break) it makes it easier . also don't get exited if there's a blanket party next week they usually don't bring beer. It probably aint any different 39 years latter 24N20
    CAG Stormy SGT ELIAS

CAG Dogg Level: 51 [?]
    Experience: 12,017,552
    Next Level: 13,849,320

6. The Following User Says Fucking Hell Yeah ! to StormySGT ELIAS For This Fucking Post:

Hobbit (August 22nd, 2015)

CAG Stud
    Rep Points: 15560
    This member is currently
    Local Date
    August 6th, 2024
    Local Time
    08:39 AM

Quote Originally Posted by StormySGT ELIAS View Post
    if your not a runner when doing your 5 mile runs think of your old neighborhood and imagine different locations like ( you see that tree over their that's were my girlfriend lives and over there by that hill is where my house is so I can take a break) it makes it easier . also don't get exited if there's a blanket party next week they usually don't bring beer. It probably aint any different 39 years latter 24N20
    Best. Advice. Ever.

Sent from the T.A.R.D.I.S. using my soniced Galaxy S4 on Tapatalk.

CAG Dogg Level: 38 [?]
    Experience: 1,284,870
    Next Level: 1,460,206

This member is currently
    Local Date
    August 6th, 2024
    Local Time

Yeah,mAtormy is right. That is how I could run the two miler under 11 minutes. Shut the mind off and breath. I didn't even "try" I just ran.

This member is currently
    Local Date
    August 6th, 2024
    Local Time

*Stormy* Is what I meant!

CAG Stud
    Rep Points: 5634
    This member is currently
    Local Date
    August 6th, 2024
    Local Time
    05:39 AM

I went to Fort Sill for basic back when i was in. I am sure somethings have changed a little since then but if i can advise anything here are a couple tips.

1. DO NOT walk on the grass.
    2. Be in the right place, at the right time, in the right uniform.
    3. do not flag ANYONE, and most importantly do NOT drop your weapon. That is your Boyfirend/Girlfriend for the next 10 weeks
    4. Eat fast you only get 5-10 minutes to eat so cherish all of them

other than that just do what you are told and follow the rules. dont be a Blue Falcon and dont be "that guy" and you will do great

CAG Dogg Level: 34 [?]
    Experience: 584,513
    Next Level: 677,567

CAG Stud
    Rep Points: 25
    This member is currently
    Local Date
    August 6th, 2024
    Local Time
    07:39 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Psyotic MLG View Post
    I went to Fort Sill for basic back when i was in. I am sure somethings have changed a little since then but if i can advise anything here are a couple tips.

1. DO NOT walk on the grass.
    2. Be in the right place, at the right time, in the right uniform.
    3. do not flag ANYONE, and most importantly do NOT drop your weapon. That is your Boyfirend/Girlfriend for the next 10 weeks
    4. Eat fast you only get 5-10 minutes to eat so cherish all of them

other than that just do what you are told and follow the rules. dont be a Blue Falcon and dont be "that guy" and you will do great
    Lol or for other terms do not be a Sick Call Warrior.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

CAG Dogg Level: 47 [?]
    Experience: 6,939,473
    Next Level: 7,172,237

This member is currently
    Local Date
    August 6th, 2024
    Local Time

Good thing is that they have softened up Basic and you have FEMALES in your M.O.S. field. Not sure if it is OSUT (One Station Unit Training) like we have in the Infantry or not, but if it is then you just roll through basic and directly into AIT. If that is the case then your Basic group should all be the same people you go to AIT with, whether it is the Platoon or maybe whole Company. Lucky you if there are females within site, the only females we saw at Sand Hill, Fort Benning were the bitches in the mess hall....don't let them talk shit to you because they will because they think you're some scared, worthless Private. Stand your ground with those fucks! Honestly, you're going to be fine. Bscrubin is headed out to Navy Basic in a month too. Best thing you can do while you are there is just take it one day at a time because it will save you a lot of unnecessary stress and allow you to sleep better. Tomorrow is when to worry about tomorrow. You'll do great, you have more advice in these posts than I got during the 4 month wait between signing and leaving!

13. The Following User Says Fucking Hell Yeah ! to ARCTIK KLuTCH For This Fucking Post:

StormySGT ELIAS (September 1st, 2015)

Stud
    Rep Points: 1030
    This member is currently
    Local Date
    August 6th, 2024
    Local Time
    06:39 AM
    Forum NooB

Survival, first I would like to congratulate you on joining the military, not many people do. No for my advice. I did BCT and AIT at Fort Sill, I was a 13M. Fort Sill is boring as hell from the Basic Training side, but Basic goes by fast. It won't seem like it but it will. Now my advice as a former Drill Sergeant.

1. Do not mouth off under any circumstances.
    2. Your response is ALWAYS "Yes Drill Sergeant" or "No Drill Sergeant" depending on question asked
    3. Do not touch the DS Hat, it's not only bad juju the DS will probably kill you
    4. Even though we preach that God himself is afraid of us, Drill Sergeants are just people so don't piss your pants when they get in your face.

Other than that do what your told, keep a low profile and remember everything your taught. Hope you do well in basic!

CAG Dogg Level: 29 [?]
    Experience: 230,215
    Next Level: 242,754

+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12