Call of Duty WW2
CAG Clan Forums Check In CAG on Facebook CAG on Twitter CAG YouTube CAG RSS Feed

View Poll Results: Do you think the 360 and PS3 ever reached their full potential?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 27.59%
  • No

9 31.03%
  • Kindah sortah

10 34.48%
  • No and I am pissed about it!

2 6.90%
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next-Gen-Only Future?

News Feed directly from IGN.com and N4G for the latest news on all the latest games, reviews, previews and release dates!

Division:
    [XBOX 1, XBOX 360]
    CAG Stud
    Rep Points: 670938
    This member is currently
    Local Date
    July 5th, 2024
    Local Time
    02:28 AM
    Leader and Founder of CAG

Next-Gen-Only Future?

So this article talks about how game developers would love to just make games for the new gen consoles, (XBOX 1 and PS4), but they understand that it's just simply not an easy thing to do right now because so many players still only play on the 360 and PS3.

I personally feel that the 360 and PS3 never reached the full potential that they promised us because they turned both consoles into app whores instead of using all their resources solely on gaming.

The 360 and PS3 where never meant to have netflix, hulu, youtube, none of those apps running, they were meant to bring us a whole new way of gaming not entertainment. When both Microsoft and Sony saw that they could cash in with all the apps, they figured out ways to update the 360 and PS3 to be able to handle these apps and why wouldn't they, they are computers after all!

If any of you guys remember when Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter came out, the graphics on that game were beyond anything we had ever seen. Model movement and the environments in game were just something we had never seen on consoles and only possible on PC.

They promised us a list of things from destructible environments which included us being able to blow holes in the walls to setting fields on fire to interaction with the surrounds. Players always complained about why the dead bodies of the enemies during single player campaign disappeared after a few seconds and developers claimed it was due to lack of memory and resources and it would take a lot to leave bodies laying around after a huge shoot out with the AI.

But then the 360 and PS3 were announced and they promised us that bodies would now be able to pile up during games, we would see worlds in which everything could be destroyed. They promised us gameplay that was not possible on the XBOX and PS2 but instead of delivering all of that they started gutting the featured rich games out such as the Madden franchise, the Rainbox Six series and Ghost Recon series as well.

On Madden football they removed features such as create a player only to bring it back on year later and call it a new feature! They removed the ability to edit players and playbooks only to call it new features. In the end, Madden football became one of the most gutted games ever to be sold and too many a complete failure!

Ubisoft stopped making Rainbow Six games after Ranibow Six: Las Vegas 2 and Ghost Recon: Future Soldier was a complete joke and failure!

Now they want us to buy the XBOX1 and PS4 because they say these consoles can handle gaming and apps that are now on the 360 and PS4 to bring us "home entertainment" !

In the last few weeks reports of broken XBOX 1's and PS4's are being reported not only throughout the internet but here on our own forums. People are having to wait up to 3 weeks to almost 2 months to get back a system which I guarantee will be a refurbished one and not a new system which is what everyone should be receiving in the first place. Unless you bought your systems at places like Best Buy which offer you a warranty that costs about $50 to $75 which allows you to get a brand new system on the spot, you are looking at a long wait if you send it to get repaired.

The fact is that these developers already have the capability to make games that can give us everything I mentioned earlier, hell EA is doing it with the Battlefield series but they are limited because the 360 and PS3 can no longer handle the processing power needed to do all that because of all the apps being installed our systems without us even being able to say, "no we don't want those apps, we just want a gaming console" and we should have that option now on the 360 and PS3 to deny the install of these system updates and only have a console with updates to play either online or offline.

Yes we can remove these system updates by clearing our cache, but if you do you can not play online because the system update are necessary to get online and that to me is unacceptable!

What should of happened was allowed a system update for the 360 and PS3 to roll out now that the XBOX 1 and PS4 are out that would allow us to only have a gaming system on the 360 and PS3 and those who want an "entertainment system" buy the new XBOX 1 and PS4 just for that. By doing this, it would allow developers to once again make games for the 360 and PS3 that would still bring us great graphics and gameplay, because lets face it you guys, the 360 and PS3 are still great gaming consoles whether you want to admit it or not!

So below is an article about how developers feel and what they are doing for the future of gaming. Check it out and read it, its pretty frustrating to me because like I said above, the 360 and PS3 are still very good gaming consoles that where never allowed to reach their full potential!

By Mitch Dyer

More than two years after our first glimpse at the new generation of consoles, players are barely closer to experiencing anything that will define PlayStation 4 and Xbox One — and E3 2014 showed that we won’t before 2015.

We’ve seen great games on both Xbox One and PS4, but many developers still tethered to Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 are anchored by inferior hardware. Looking at 2014, impressive games such as Far Cry 4, Battlefield Hardline, Dragon Age: Inquisition, and Destiny carry enormous promise, but will feel more or less like something we could have played on older machines — because we can.

This isn’t a problem, it’s the nature of the business. But it’s still disappointing.

First party publishers such as Microsoft and Sony are committing more readily to the new hardware, of course, because they must. Sunset Overdrive and Driveclub are meant to drive machine sales this year. Forza Motorsport 5, Ryse, Killzone Shadow Fall, and other launch titles served the same purpose.

Consoles need large audiences to attract publishers, publishers need to make money to fund games, and games that reach the widest audience are likely to sell the most copies. It’s something everyone in the industry is struggling with. If Activision can sell more games, there’s little business reason for it to sacrifice money for creativity.

That said, leaving the last generation behind is something many publishers are interested in.

“I would love that, it would make development a lot simpler and it would mean that more people have signed up for next-gen, which I believe has great implications for the future,” Activision CEO Eric Hirshberg told IGN. Hirshberg noted that the new consoles are selling at a more rapid rate than they did at the beginning of the last generation, “but, there’s still too big of an audience who are still playing their games on an Xbox 360 or a PS3, and we want to make a great experience for them, too.”
    Now, Hirshberg said, “I think you’ll see what the next-gen games look and feel like start to pull away from what the last-gen was capable of,” because the hardware has existed for the duration of the development cycle.

Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot shares Hirshberg’s thoughts. “The transition this time is much faster that last time, it’s happening very fast,” he told IGN. “We have 10 million machines sold in the first four months. Last time, it was five, or four-and-a-half, or something like that. Quickly, we’re moving to next-gen.”

Until there are enough consoles in enough living rooms, though, Ubisoft will primarily focus on cross-generation software. Assassin’s Creed Unity and The Crew are the publisher’s first and only new-gen-only efforts this year. “We don’t have much for next-gen” in 2014,” Guillemot said. But it's a start, and it's going somewhere. “Most of the games we create for next year will not have current-gen versions.”

Ubisoft even has a Wii U game ready to go, but won’t publish it until Nintendo can sell more machines.

In 2006, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and Gears of War showed us things we’d never seen or thought possible. Their ambition, scale, visuals, and systemic complexity gave players experiences they couldn’t have had prior to the new generation of consoles.

At EA, leaving last-gen machines behind will be done “on a franchise-by-franchise basis,” Patrick Söderlund said. “It’s going to be driven by what the consumers tell us that they want in what regions they are.”

In 2013, Söderlund explained, EA published FIFA 14 on PlayStation 2, because there are enough Brazilian players that it’s worth it. Atlus is currently preparing Persona 5 for PlayStation 3 in Japan next year, presumably for the same reason — the people are there.

We don’t even know yet when the time is right to stop making current-gen games.

Publishers around the world have to play this one by ear. “Because we’ve been caught by surprise by the rate of adaption,” Ubisoft’s Tony Key told IGN, “we don’t even know yet when the time is right to stop making current-gen games.”

Ubisoft’s next-gen-only lineup includes Rainbow Six Siege and The Division, but Key explained, “that doesn’t mean that we can’t have some shape or form of a current-gen game underneath those brands.”

Even now, Ubisoft is preparing to abandon Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, at least in terms of the games it’s currently making. Separate products may make their way to older machines, “but could we afford to do that?” Key said. “Can we afford to make two different experiences, two different games? The one thing we probably won’t do is make current-gen versions of what those are.”

As long as players are purchasing Xbox 360 and PS3 versions of Ubisoft’s games, it will continue to support them.
    On the Nintendo side of things, Key said “ it’s very unusual for a third party to create the market for a hardware platform.” Ubisoft supported Wii U at launch with Rabbids, Assassin’s Creed III, and ZombiU, but as time went on and the hardware failed to sell sufficiently, Ubisoft’s support has waned. Just Dance 2015 and Watch Dogs are still scheduled for 2014, but looking forward, the future of Wii U and Ubisoft is bleak. “We just can’t afford that. It’s not really our job. Our job is to support the platforms. And as far as third party publishers go, I think we do that more than most for Nintendo.”

EA’s Soderlund agreed. “I love what they’ve done, I love the products they make,” he said of Nintendo. “But you have to look on our perspective. We have the benefit of being a platform-agnostic company. And we’ll be in the businesses that make sense for us. We’ll be where are players are. And right now, it’s just as simple as there’s not enough of our players on [Wii U and 3DS].”

Increasingly, 2015 is looking more and more like the year Xbox One and PlayStation 4 start showing what the next generation is all about. Whether Ubisoft, Activision, and Electronic Arts involve Nintendo remains to be seen, but by and large the games that defined E3 2014 spotlight a bright future for next-gen only games.

Comparing this generation’s lifespan to the previous one, Xbox One and PlayStation’s 2015 lines up with Xbox 360 and PS3’s 2007 — the year of Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Mass Effect, Assassin’s Creed, Super Mario Galaxy, Halo 3, Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune, and more.

2015 includes new-gen-only games such as Bloodborne, The Order: 1886, The Witcher 3, Batman: Arkham Knight, Quantum Break, Halo 5 Guardians, Mad Max, and more games that leave behind the previous generation. This is in addition to the previously mentioned Rainbow Six Siege and The Division.

2014 will see numerous fantastic games on Xbox One and PlayStation 4, but next year is when we’re most likely to see publishers drop Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 — hardware that, come next fall, will be a decade old.

Only when developers are willing and able to abandon the shackles of the last 10 years will players really start benefiting from their new machines. That starts this fall -- and it's only going to get better for everyone from there.

Mitch Dyer is an associate editor at IGN. He's trying to read 50 books in 2014. These are the 50. Talk to Mitch about books and other stuff on Twitter at @MitchyD and subscribe to MitchyD on Twitch.

Source: http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/06/...en-only-future
    cag clan cheechdogg

CAG Dogg Level: 72 [?]
    Experience: 279,945,048
    Next Level: 305,690,101

2. The Following 2 Users Said Fucking Hell Yeah ! to CAG CheechDogg For This Fucking Post:

CAG Britz (June 25th, 2014),RzaRay (June 25th, 2014)

Division:
    [XBOX 1, XBOX 360]
    CAG Stud
    This member is currently
    Local Date
    July 5th, 2024
    Local Time

Make sure you guys vote in the poll above the first post you guys ... I want to see what you guys think about this ...
    cag clan cheechdogg

Rep Points: 12734
    This member is currently
    Local Date
    July 5th, 2024
    Local Time
    10:28 AM

Dam cheech that was a big read for me lol

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

CAG Dogg Level: 40 [?]
    Experience: 1,911,286
    Next Level: 2,111,327

5. The Following User Says Fucking Hell Yeah ! to CAG Britz For This Fucking Post:

CAG CheechDogg (June 25th, 2014)

Division:
    [XBOX 1, XBOX 360]
    CAG Stud
    This member is currently
    Local Date
    July 5th, 2024
    Local Time

Quote Originally Posted by CAG Britz View Post
    Dam cheech that was a big read for me lol

Make sure you vote !
    cag clan cheechdogg

Rep Points: 12734
    This member is currently
    Local Date
    July 5th, 2024
    Local Time
    10:28 AM

Will do boss

CAG Dogg Level: 40 [?]
    Experience: 1,911,286
    Next Level: 2,111,327

8. The Following User Says Fucking Hell Yeah ! to CAG Britz For This Fucking Post:

Rep Points: 57567
    This member is currently
    Local Date
    July 5th, 2024
    Local Time
    04:28 AM
    I was a Bitch and got Banned

I feel that at some point it's just time to move on. Battlefield 4 proves this in my opinion. The fact that they more than doubled the player count shows me that the 360 has met its potential and is now outdated.

Looking at the difference between Oblivion and Skyrim is shocking, to me it's incredible that they are on the same console. How much better can it realistically get without updating hardware?

8 years is a ridiculously good run, especially since MS says they will continue to support 360 for 3 more years. Thats almost as long as the entire original Xbox console life!

The 360 still has its place for a while. I completely respect a Devs decision to concentrate solely on last gen as they should be working with whatever they feel they can create the best experience on, such as the Borderlands prequel game.

However I do have a problem with games releasing cross gen. To me it's nothing but a money grab and is not in the spirit of making the best possible game. Dev time is being used to port the game to 4 different consoles instead of making the best possible experience on 2.

I hope I'm not sounding like a jerk or like I'm trying to justify my X1 purchase. I just want gaming to move forward, not sideways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CAG Dogg Level: 46 [?]
    Experience: 5,812,380
    Next Level: 6,058,010

10. The Following 5 Users Said Fucking Hell Yeah ! to Nesty For This Fucking Post:

BlameItOnGod13 (June 25th, 2014),CAG Britz (June 25th, 2014),CAG CheechDogg (June 25th, 2014),NuT jOb (June 25th, 2014),PestiferousJoe (June 26th, 2014)

Division:
    [XBOX 1, XBOX 360]
    CAG Stud
    This member is currently
    Local Date
    July 5th, 2024
    Local Time

Oh no no no Nesty not at all Bro, this is what the forums are for Man, for us to give our own takes, opinions, thoughts and shit about these things. I love to read everyone's thoughts on shit Man, because somewhere in there there is almost always something we all have in common or agree on. Like I am with you, I believe they should concentrate on one single console with games, for example, Rainbow Six: Siege is supposed to be only on the XBOX 1, they should solely concentrate on that and nothing else. Madden 15 is supposed to be released on every console when they should only be concentrating on that game for old gen (360 and PS3) instead of porting the motherfucker to XBOX1 and PS4. They are going to make so many mistakes on a game like that and I honestly am not too thrilled about madden this year either ...
    cag clan cheechdogg

12. The Following 3 Users Said Fucking Hell Yeah ! to CAG CheechDogg For This Fucking Post:

CAG Britz (June 25th, 2014),Nesty (June 25th, 2014),NuT jOb (June 25th, 2014)

Rep Points: 222306
    This member is currently
    Local Date
    July 5th, 2024
    Local Time
    05:28 AM

you know as well as I do these people only care about the all might dollar and not us gamers

they are gonna squeze every red cent out of us they can any way they can with out worrying about our gaming experiance

just like all the talk about deadicated servers on the One for Ghost.................. where the hell are they cause I sure as hell ant seen em

this is why they are going to make the games for 4 consoles instead of 2 and we will be the ones to sacrifice in the lomg run

CAG Dogg Level: 54 [?]
    Experience: 20,450,030
    Next Level: 22,308,442

14. The Following 4 Users Said Fucking Hell Yeah ! to GypsyOutlaw For This Fucking Post:

CAG Britz (June 25th, 2014),CAG CheechDogg (June 25th, 2014),Nesty (June 25th, 2014),NuT jOb (June 25th, 2014)

Rep Points: 57567
    This member is currently
    Local Date
    July 5th, 2024
    Local Time
    04:28 AM

Quote Originally Posted by CAG CheechDogg View Post
    Oh no no no Nesty not at all Bro, this is what the forums are for Man, for us to give our own takes, opinions, thoughts and shit about these things. I love to read everyone's thoughts on shit Man, because somewhere in there there is almost always something we all have in common or agree on. Like I am with you, I believe they should concentrate on one single console with games, for example, Rainbow Six: Siege is supposed to be only on the XBOX 1, they should solely concentrate on that and nothing else. Madden 15 is supposed to be released on every console when they should only be concentrating on that game for old gen (360 and PS3) instead of porting the motherfucker to XBOX1 and PS4. They are going to make so many mistakes on a game like that and I honestly am not too thrilled about madden this year either ...
    I fear the worst for annual franchises like EA sports games and FPSs. I could see them releasing cross gen for another few years. I guess there are just too many 360s and ps3s to ignore, what a great generation for console gaming. I challenge anyone to find another electronic device that is actually more relevant 11 years after it was initially released, especially for under $500. So much value...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CAG Dogg Level: 46 [?]
    Experience: 5,812,380
    Next Level: 6,058,010

16. The Following User Says Fucking Hell Yeah ! to Nesty For This Fucking Post:

Division:
    [XBOX 1]
    Rep Points: 202790
    This member is currently
    Local Date
    July 5th, 2024
    Local Time
    05:28 AM
    Co-Leader

360 just doesn't have the power, it's unholy dated at this point and some people may not like but the XB1 is already dated too, it's comparable to a PC from 2-3 years ago. we get games at what 720 native? some PC's are running games at 1920x1080. we're finally getting games like BF4 to hold 50-60 FPS and some PC's run BF4 at a steady 110 FPS. the fact that i paid 500 dollars for a console when i could have built a PC for 450 that would kill it is disheartening. then you have mod's, what keep's a game lively and fresh and never lets it get boring which we can't do with our consoles, at least not legally then add to that the Microsoft security screen that every single download put onto the XB marketplace has to pass - i really don't like console gaming. some games i do prefer to play on console like sports titles. if these console's came down to about 200 it would be more justifiable but for the price they go for, not worth it.

EDIT - 3840x2160 is now affordable apparently.
    Last edited by BlameItOnGod13; June 25th, 2014 at 03:40 PM.

CAG Dogg Level: 59 [?]
    Experience: 46,486,228
    Next Level: 47,989,448

18. The Following User Says Fucking Hell Yeah ! to BlameItOnGod13 For This Fucking Post:

+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast